Monday, August 8, 2011

riding and building is not training

So i have determined that the first cyclocross race i will enter isn't until sometime in october. i didn't spend the summer riding, nor will i race my way to form for CX championships in November. Too many things to do on the weekends and too little cash. racing every weekend would be ideal, but i hate driving to venues, setting up and then driving home. i will ride my bike to a couple of races, race and then ride home. the alternative would be to drive in a car, pre-ride, warm -up and race, and then drive home. if i ride there i'm already warmed up when i get there, i know the venue so i can skip an extensive pre-ride. it's flawless(on paper).

Whence cometh the training? and where are the 'practice races'?....let me see, how do i put this best....'been there done that, let move on to the other questions'. i'm sure i'll hit a few stairs and practice a few dismounts, but i've been doing this for a while. Can i say it's just like riding a bike without offending anyone? i do have other commitments in my life and i work riding into my life.

I ride 12 miles to work in the morning, work a fairly physical job for 8 hours and then ride home 12 miles. I fitted my road bike that  i use for commuting with cyclocross handlebars. Luckily i have the weekends off, and there are nights to train and perfect technique. I plan on enhancing my base miles of 125 a week with a  few intense work-outs on a cyclocross bike, or maybe i'll ride trails on my mtb. This is not rocket science folks, it will be a great season.

No comments: